Curriculum Vitae - Alberto Marchetti Spaccamela
Marchetti-Spaccamela graduated in Electrical Engineering in 1977
at Sapienza University of Rome. He was visiting scholar at UC
Berkeley in 1982-83.
From 1987 to 1991 he has been Full Professor in
Computer Science at the University of L'Aquila; since 1991 he is Professor at Sapienza University of Rome.
Since 2013 he is Director of the Department of Computer, Control, and Management Engineering at Sapienza University of Rome.
He is a founder of WSENSE, a spin-off of Sapienza University of Rome.
(co-)authored more than 140 papers in journals and international
conferences. His current research interests concern the design and the
analysis of algorithms (mainly approximate, on-line and dynamic
algorithms) and their applications to scheduling in real time systems,
networks of computers, bioinformatics and healthcare. He is co-author of a book on
approximation algorithms (Springer Verlag 1999) and four textbooks in
Recently he has been PI for his University in the following projects:
- PANORAMA, (Coordinated action on Pervasive adaptation) EU VII framework program (2007- 2010)
- FRONTS (pervasive systems based on sensors) EU VII framework program (2007- 2010)
- Project FIRB by MUR for cooperation with Israel- partner Technion, Haifa, (2006-2009)
- GRAAL (algorithmic foundations of networks) EU COST project, national delegate (2005-2008)
- EUSACOU (combinatorial optimization) ISMES project (2008-2012)
- Symbiosis, INRIA research project, since 2006.
has been editor of six volumes reporting scientific activity (Lec.
Not. in Computer Science, edited by Springer Verlag) and guest editor
for several special issues of international journals (Theoretical
Computer Sci., Discrete Applied Mathematics, ACM Computing Surveys, J.
He has organized and/or co-chaired following schools and conferences
He is member of the council of the European Association for Theoretical Computer Sceince (EATCS).
- WG 1996: XXII Workshop on Graph Theoretic Concepts in Computer science, (WG 96) Cadenabbia, 1996
- ICALP 97, track A: XXIV International Colloquim on Automata Languages and Programming, Bologna, 1997
- I Workshop on Algorithmic Aspects of Communications, Bologna, 1997
- WSDAAL 97: II Italian workshop on Distributed systems: algorithms, systems and languages, Bertinoro 1997
- OLA, School on On-Line Algorithms, Udine September 1998
- WAE 01: Workshop on Algorithm Engineering 2001, Aarhus
- ATMOS 03: Workshop on Algorithmic methods for Railways optimization, Budapest, 2003
- School on Hot topics in Network algorihm, Bertinoro, 2008.
- ICALP 09, track C, Rodhos, 2009
- TAPAS Theory and Practices of systems ALgorithms, 2011, Roma
- GA, Graph algorithms and Applications, Satellite workshop of ICALP 2011, Zurich
- ENUMEX: School on enumeration methods for bioinformatics, Bertinoro 2012
- SEA, Symposium on Experimental Algorithms, 2013, Rome.
was president of the Italian chapter of EATCS (European Association for
Theoretical Computer Science). He was also a member of the National
committee for Olympiads in Informatics.