Data Management (academic year 2009/2010)
For whom is this course. This 6 credits course is for the students of the Master in Computer Engineering (School of Engineering) of the Sapienza UniversitÃ di Roma. The course can also be attended by the students of the Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Informatica of the Sapienza UniversitÃ di Roma, but they have to take into account that the language for both the course and the exam is English. The lectures will be held in the first semester (September 2009 - December 2009).
Prerequisites. A good knowledge of the fundamentals of Programming Structures, Programming Languages, and Databases (SQL, relational data model, Entity-Relationship data model, conceptual and logical database design) is required.
Course goals. The course presents the basic concepts of database systems, emphasizing the relational model. Several major issues related to the theory and the design of relational database systems are covered, including concurrency control, recovery, file and index organizations, query processing.
Important notice. Only those students who are enrolled in the Master in Computer Engineering, or who attended the lectures of the Data Management course during the first semester can give the exam of Data Management. In particular students who book for the exam of Gestione dei Dati cannot take the exam of Data Management in the same academic year, and, conversely, students who book for the exam of Data Management cannot take the exam of Gestione dei Dati in the same academic year.
- November 1, 2010 The grades for the last exam are reported here. The registration of the exam will be held on November 23, 2010, at 6:00pm in room B203 in via Ariosto 25.
- Lecture material
- M. Lenzerini, Lecture notes, Available in this site
- R.Ramakrishnan, J. Gehrke. Database Management Systems. McGraw-Hill, 2004
- When: Tuesday [14:00 -- 15:30], Wednesday [14:00 -- 17:15], from September 29, 2009 to December 18, 2009
- Where: via Ariosto 25, Roma -- Tuesday: room B2, Wednesday: room A3
- Lecture notes
- Topics covered
- Final exam: the final exam is constituted by a written exam, and a possible oral examinations. Students have 2 hours for completing the written exam
- Past written exams: you can have a look at the problems proposed in past exams, both in Italian, and in English (in this case, grades are also included)
- Schedule of final exams:
- First written exam: January 26, 2010
- Second written exam: February 18, 2010
- Extraordinary exam: April 2010
- Third written exam: June 23, 2010
- Fourth written exam: July 16, 2010
- Fifth written exam: September 17, 2010
- Fifth written exam: October 29, 2010
- To book for the exam: Please, follow the on-line booking procedure.
- Information on past editions of this course
- Office hours. Tuesday, 5:00 pm, at the Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica "Antonio Ruberti", via Ariosto 25, Roma, second floor, room B203 (if available), or room B217 (otherwise) -- please, look at the last minute news for the next office hours