Prof. Umberto Nanni
"Sapienza" UniversitÓ di Roma
FacoltÓ di Ingegneria dell'Informazione, Informatica e Statistica
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Informatica, Automatica e Gestionale "Antonio Ruberti"
Seminars in Software and Services for the Information Society
(Seminari di Software e Servizi per la SocietÓ dell'Informazione)
Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Informatica
(Facoltà di Ingegneria dell'Informazione, Informatica e Statistica)
Master of Science in Engineering in Computer Science (MSE-CS)
(School of Engineering in Computer Science)
Please, checkout the course repository at
The course is taught in the second semester, and will host two series
of seminars, hold at DIAG - via Ariosto 25, Room A7, on MONDAY, at 15:45-17:15
The schedule for A.Y. 2014-2015 was the following:
Data Intelligence (lectures given by Prof. Umberto Nanni)
- Monday, February 23, 2015
- Monday, March 2, 2015
- Monday, March 23, 2015
- Monday, May 18, 2015
Process Intelligence (lectures coordinated by Prof. Massimo Mecella)
- Monday, March 09, 2015
- Monday, March 16, 2015
- Monday, March 30, 2015
- Monday, April 13, 2015
- Monday, April 20, 2015
- Monday, April 27, 2015
- Monday, May 4, 2015
- Monday, May 11, 2015
- Monday, May 25, 2015
Data Intelligence (Umberto Nanni) - main topics
- Goals, Overview; Business Intelligence architectures
- Multidimensional model & Data Warehouse; MS SQL-Server Analysis Services: basics
- Introduction to Key Performance Indicators and Critical Success Factors
- RFID; Examples; case study
- Notions of Social Networks Analysis (SNA); case study
- Data Mining; Examples; case study
Seminars in the past years:
For comprehensive details concerning the exam, please check:
For those students who attended at least 75% of the lectures, the
examination requirements include a project.
Awareness of methodologies, technologies, and software tools
adopted in the project is - of course - expected.
The project can be discussed either with Prof. Nanni, or with
Prof. Massimo Mecella - according to the topic (respectively - Data
Intelligence, or Process Intelligence).
In principle, there are no constraints on the specific topic.
For some comment about the chosen topics for your projects, please
contact professor Nanni in office hours or
The following refers to a possible project in DATA INTELLIGENCE, to be
discussed with professor U. Nanni.
Requirements and Suggestions
Regardless the topic, the discussion of a project in Data Intelligence requires:
Additional presentations (powerpoint, or similar) are NOT required.
- a report (in english), to be sent in advance by email in pdf format
- a live demonstration of the project (on appointment - see below)
As an example, a typical report (FAQ: Is it possible to adopt a
different structure? - A: YES), depending on the considered project,
The adoption of design formalism is required, notably in the "what"
section: UML diagrams and/or workflows and/or Dimensional Fact Model.
- a short description of the background and context
- statements about the considered problem, scope, goals
- involved technologies and tools
- architecture of the developed project (encompassing software tools,
data and/or control flows, developed modules or data collections)
- analysis / design
- a selection of snapshots from the developed matherial
- achieved goals / resulting consideration
- do not ask "how many pages?"
- pursue conceptual completeness (e.g.: statements vs. achieved goals)
- do not write (or paste) too much: distill the essential contents
- do not write (or paste) too much: you are requested to know
everything is written in your project
- enjoy your project
For discussing a project in data intelligence:
>>> booking for discussion of project in S4I
For office hours, please, refer to the Announcement Page.
Umberto Nanni (home page)